Family Medicine – PICO 2

-17 y/o male with PMH of ADHD comes into the family medicine practice complaining of difficulty making friends and struggling to converse with others.

Search Question: Clearly state the question (including outcomes or criteria to be tracked)

“Does behavioral therapy improve long term social outcomes in adolescents with ADHD compared to pharmacotherapy alone?”

Question Type: What kind of question is this? (boxes now checkable in Word)

☐Prevalence                                     ☐Screening                        ☐Diagnosis

☒Prognosis                                        ☒Treatment                      ☐Harms

Assuming that the highest level of evidence to answer your question will be meta-analysis or systematic review, what other types of study might you include if these are not available (or if there is a much more current study of another type)?

Please explain your choices.

– If meta-analysis or systematic review are not available, I would include a cohort study. I think a prospective cohort study would be beneficial as it would allow me to follow the ADHD patients over time and evaluate their long-term social outcomes.

PICO search terms:

P I C O
Adolescents with ADHD CBT Pharmacotherapy Social skills
Teens with ADHD Behavioral Therapy Medication Relationships
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Standard treatment Interpersonal skills

Search tools and strategy used:

Please indicate what data bases/tools you used, provide a list of the terms you searched together in each tool, and how many articles were returned using those terms and filters.
Explain how you narrow your choices to the few selected articles.

Results found:

PubMed:

• ADHD cognitive behavioral therapy– 698 results
  • ADHD cognitive behavioral therapy – 368
    • Filter : within 5 years, best match
  • ADHD cognitive behavioral therapy adolescent – 103 results
    • Filter: adolescents (13-18), within 5 years, best match

Science Direct:

• Behavioral therapy for ADHD adolescents social outcomes – 6,615
  • Behavioral therapy for ADHD adolescents social outcomes – 843
    • Filter: within 5 years, Research articles
  • Behavioral therapy ADHD adolescents pharmacology social outcomes- 3,010
  • Behavioral therapy ADHD adolescents pharmacology social outcomes- 828
    • Filter: within 5 years

– I wanted to get a variety of types of different studies, but also make sure they were answering my question and related to my PICO search terms. In my first PICO I struggled with relating my articles to the question that I was researching so I wanted to ensure what was being examined in the studies correlated to what I was intending to research.

Identify at least 3 articles (or other appropriate reputable sources) that answer your specific question with the highest available level of evidence (you will probably need to look at more than 3 articles to get the 3 most focused and highest level articles to address your question). Please make sure that they are Medline indexed.

Please post the citation and abstract for each article (to include the journal and authors’ names and date) and say why you chose it.
Please also note what kind of article it is (e.g. meta-analysis, cohort study, or independent blind comparison with gold standard of diagnosis, etc.).

At the bottom of each abstract, please comment on what your key points are from this article (including any points or concepts included in the article, but not present in the abstract – i.e. make the concepts understandable to the reader)

Please note that if the evidence is not in the abstract, you must clearly summarize the evidence in your posting.

Citation:

Sprich, S. E., Safren, S. A., Finkelstein, D., Remmert, J. E., & Hammerness, P. (2016). A randomized controlled trial of cognitive behavioral therapy for ADHD in medication-treated adolescents. Journal of child psychology and psychiatry, and allied disciplines57(11), 1218–1226. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcpp.12549

Type of article:

Randomized Controlled Trial

Abstract:

Objective: To test cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) for persistent attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) symptoms in a sample of medication-treated adolescents.

Methods: Forty-six adolescents (ages 14-18), with clinically significant ADHD symptoms despite stable medication treatment were randomly assigned to receive CBT for ADHD or wait list control in a cross-over design. Twenty-four were randomized to CBT, 22 to wait list, and 15 crossed-over from wait list to CBT. A blind independent evaluator (IE) rated symptom severity on the ADHD Current Symptom Scale, by adolescent and parent report, and rated each subject using the Clinical Global Impression Severity Scale (CGI), a global measure of distress and impairment. These assessments were performed at baseline, 4-months (post-CBT or post wait list), and 8-months (post-treatment for those originally assigned to the wait list condition and 4-month follow-up for those originally assigned to CBT).

Results: Using all available data, mixed effects modeling, and pooling for the wait list cross-over, participants who received CBT received a mean score 10.93 lower on the IE-rated parent assessment of symptom severity (95% CI: -12.93, -8.93; p < .0001), 5.24 lower on the IE-rated adolescent assessment of symptom severity (95% CI: -7.21, -3.28; p < .0001), and 1.17 lower IE-rated CGI (95% CI: -1.39, -.94; p < .0001). Results were consistent across 100 multiple imputations (all p < .0001). There was a greater proportion of responders after CBT by parent (50% vs. 18%, p = .00) and adolescent (58% vs. 18% p = .02) report.

Conclusion: This study demonstrates initial efficacy of CBT for adolescents with ADHD who continued to exhibit persistent symptoms despite medications.

Key points:

• Participants in the study were already treated with medication prior to receiving CBT treatment.
  • Blind independent evaluators rated symptom severity which the article states affect school performance, social relationships, relationships at home, repeating grades. The bold are directly related to social outcomes.
  • The study showed that adolescents with ADHD not controlled by medications benefited form CBT therapy.
Why I chose it:

I chose this article because I felt it was directly answering my PICO question. It dealt directly with the population I wanted to research (adolescents with ADHD), the intervention (CBT), comparison (medication alone), and the outcomes were symptom severity which is related to social outcomes as I mentioned in my key points. The results were also measured at baseline, 4 months, and 8 months which answers the long term aspect of my PICO question. It is also a randomized controlled trial which has a high level of evidence and mitigates bias.

Citation:

Antshel, K. M., Faraone, S. V., & Gordon, M. (2014). Cognitive behavioral treatment outcomes in adolescent ADHD. Journal of attention disorders18(6), 483–495. https://doi.org/10.1177/1087054712443155

Type of article:

Extension of previous Randomized Controlled trial

Abstract:

Objective: To assess the efficacy of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) for managing adolescent ADHD

Method: A total of 68 adolescents with ADHD and associated psychiatric comorbidities completed a manualized CBT treatment protocol. The intervention used in the study was a downward extension of the Safren et al. program for adults with ADHD who have symptoms unresolved by medication. Outcome variables consisted of narrow band (ADHD) and broadband (e.g., mood, anxiety, conduct) symptom measures (Behavior Assessment System for Children–2nd edition and ADHD–Rating Scales) as well as functioning measures (parent/teacher ratings and several ecologically real-world measures).

Results: Treatment effects emerged on the medication dosage, parent rating of pharmacotherapy adherence, adolescent self-report of personal adjustment (e.g., self-esteem), parent and teacher ratings of inattentive symptoms, school attendance, school tardiness, parent report of peer, family and academic functioning and teacher report of adolescent relationship with teacher, academic progress, and adolescent self-esteem. Adolescents with ADHD with oppositional defiant disorder were rated by parents and teachers as benefiting less from the CBT intervention. Adolescents with ADHD and comorbid anxiety/depression were rated by parents and teachers as benefiting more from the CBT intervention.

Conclusion: A downward extension of an empirically validated adult ADHD CBT protocol can benefit some adolescents with ADHD.

Key points:

•  This study was a downward extension of a previous randomized controlled trial that was conducted in adults, now being conducted in adolescents.
  • This study also discusses how ADHD is often a comorbid disorder with other forms of psychopathology.
  • CBT sessions focused on psychoeducation about ADHD as well as training in organizing and planning skills, adolescent learning skills to reduce distractibility, reducing procrastination, improving communication skills, and improving anger/frustration management.
  • Post treatment ratings from parents and teachers showed that those suffering from ADHD & ODD benefited less. It also showed that those suffering from ADHD & anxiety and those suffering from ADHD & depression benefited more from CBT. Those with just ADHD seemed to benefit less than those with ADHD & depression and those with ADHD and anxiety.
Why I chose it:

I chose this article because the objective was related to my PICO research question. It also looked at a different aspect of the test subjects which was comorbidity. After reading this article it was clear how prevalent other psychopathologies were in those who were diagnosed with ADHD. The other articles I was considering using didn’t mention much about comorbidities. It was important to me not to have very similar articles, as that could narrow down the research and make it less valid.

Citation:

Sprich, S. E., Burbridge, J., Lerner, J. A., & Safren, S. A. (2015). Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for ADHD in Adolescents: Clinical Considerations and a Case Series. Cognitive and behavioral practice22(2), 116–126. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpra.2015.01.001

Type of article:

Case Series

Abstract:

Although ADHD in adolescents is an impairing and prevalent condition, with community prevalence estimates between 2% and 6%, psychosocial treatments for adolescents compared to younger children are relatively understudied. Our group has successfully developed an evidence base for cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) for ADHD in medication-treated adults with ADHD with clinically significant symptoms. In the current paper, we describe an adaptation of this treatment to adolescents, and provide case reports on 3 adolescents who participated in an open pilot trial. The results suggest that the treatment approach was well tolerated by the adolescents and that they experienced clinical benefit. This early report of the approach in adolescents is promising and requires further efficacy testing.

Key points:

• Case series on 3 adolescents who had been on stable ADHD medication for 2 months.
  • Doctoral level psychologists carried out the behavioral therapy weekly.
  • In case 1, Jane and her parents reported “having a few close friends and no being involved in many social activities.
  • In case 2, Tylers mother reported how his ADHD symptoms have affected his relationships with his family.
  • In case 3, Sally’s ADHD and problems in school affected her relationship with her mother which caused arguing.
  • All above cases had symptoms of ADHD which affected their social relationships with family/friends.
  • Baseline assessments/post treatment assessments of ADHD symptom severity were conducted and showed a clinically significant decrease in all 3 studies after behavioral therapy.
Why I chose it:

I chose this article because I thought it was a well-organized case series. I had not used a case series in any of my other previous articles. It also was appropriately related to my PICO question. I thought that there maybe could have been a better assessment of social outcomes then just an examination on symptoms but the symptoms displayed in ADHD directly were affecting the patients social relationships. It was interesting reading about each of the three adolescents being examined and the differing ways that CBT had a positive effect on each of them.

What is the clinical “bottom line” derived from these articles in answer to your question?

After conducting my research regarding the social outcomes of CBT on adolescents with ADHD when compared to pharmacotherapy, I concluded that more research should be performed. One thing that I did note is that there are many adolescents whose symptoms are not controlled by pharmacotherapy alone. Two of the articles that I examined showed clinical significance with adolescent patients benefiting from CBT, while the other article stated that it can benefit some adolescents with CBT. In my opinion to definitively say that CBT therapy improves long term social outcomes in adolescents with CBT compared to pharmacotherapy alone is not appropriate at this time. More research should be conducted as well as other treatment options as it seems from my research that pharmacotherapy alone is not effective enough to control the disorder in these individuals.

Articles Used Hyperlinks

1)https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5026858/pdf/nihms760438.pdf

2)https://focus.psychiatryonline.org/doi/epdf/10.1176/appi.focus.10.3.334

3) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5014388/pdf/nihms-720894.pdf