Surgery – PICO 1

Brief description of patient problem/setting (summarize the case very briefly):

37 y.o female presents to the general surgery clinic with 3 days of worsening abdominal pain with and a noticeable “bump”. Upon physical examination a large umbilical hernia is discovered. The patient is interested in surgical intervention but states that she wants to know more about the surgical options available. She reports that she has her sister’s wedding 3 weeks away and wants to be walking down the aisle with no noticeable abnormalities.

Search Question: Clearly state the question (including outcomes or criteria to be tracked)

In patients with umbilical hernias does laparoscopic repair compared to open repair result in reduced postoperative pain, reduced complications, and faster return to daily activities?

Question Type: What kind of question is this? (boxes now checkable in Word)

☐Prevalence                                 ☐Screening                      ☐Diagnosis

☒Prognosis                                    ☒Treatment                    ☐Harms

Assuming that the highest level of evidence to answer your question will be meta-analysis or systematic review, what other types of study might you include if these are not available (or if there is a much more current study of another type)?

Please explain your choices.

– If meta-analysis or systematic review are not available, I would include a cohort study. A cohort study would allow me to follow these patients over time which would be required to accurately evaluate post operative pain and return to activities. RCT’s are also a viable option as they are double blind experiments that eliminate bias and would be a good option for comparing two different types of surgical treatments.

PICO search terms:

P

I

C

O

Umbilical hernias

Laparoscopic repair

Open repair

Post operative pain

Patients with umbilical hernias

Laparoscopic umbilical hernia repair

Open umbilical hernia repair

Return to daily activities

Patients undergoing umbilical hernia repair

Laparoscopic umbilical hernia surgery

Open umbilical hernia surgery

Recovery

Patients undergoing umbilical hernia surgery

Minimally invasive umbilical hernia repair

Reduced complications

Search tools and strategy used:

Please indicate what data bases/tools you used, provide a list of the terms you searched together in each tool, and how many articles were returned using those terms and filters.
Explain how you narrow your choices to the few selected articles.

Results found:

PubMed:

• umbilical hernia laparoscopic repair open repair -245
  • umbilical hernia laparoscopic repair open repair – 98
  1. Filters= within 5 years
  • umbilical hernia laparoscopic repair open repair post operative pain
  1. Filters= within 5 years

Science Direct:

• umbilical hernia surgery open laparoscopic recovery – 1590
  • umbilical hernia surgery open laparoscopic recovery – 271
  1. Filters= within 5 years
  • umbilical hernia surgery open laparoscopic return activity – 118      
  1. Filters= within 5 years

Google Scholar

• umbilical hernia laparoscopic vs open repair recovery time – 17,800
  • umbilical hernia laparoscopic vs open repair recovery – 5,770
  1. Filters=  since 2020
  • cohort study of umbilical hernia laparoscopic vs open repair recovery time- 27                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          a.  Filters= since 2020

– I wanted to make sure that the articles were directly answering my PICO question. It was hard to incorporate all the search criteria that I wanted in one search, so I split up the outcomes of post operative pain, recovery, and return to activity in multiple searches. In google scholar I thought including cohort study in the search would result in the type of study I was trying to obtain.

Identify at least 3 articles (or other appropriate reputable sources) that answer your specific question with the highest available level of evidence (you will probably need to look at more than 3 articles to get the 3 most focused and highest level articles to address your question). Please make sure that they are Medline indexed.

Please post the citation and abstract for each article (to include the journal and authors’ names and date) and say why you chose it.
Please also note what kind of article it is (e.g. meta-analysis, cohort study, or independent blind comparison with gold standard of diagnosis, etc.).

At the bottom of each abstract, please comment on what your key points are from this article (including any points or concepts included in the article, but not present in the abstract – i.e. make the concepts understandable to the reader)

Please note that if the evidence is not in the abstract, you must clearly summarize the evidence in your posting.

Citation:

Gonzalez, R., Mason, E., Duncan, T., Wilson, R., & Ramshaw, B. J. (2003). Laparoscopic versus open umbilical hernia repair. JSLS : Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons7(4), 323–328.

Type of article:

Retrospective cohort study

Abstract:

BackgroundThe use of prosthetic material for open umbilical hernia repair has been reported to reduce recurrence rates. The aim of this study was to compare outcomes after laparoscopic versus open umbilical hernia repair.

MethodsWe reviewed all umbilical hernia repairs performed from November 1995 to October 2000. Demographic data, hernia characteristics, and outcomes were compared.

ResultsOf the 76 patients identified, 32 underwent laparoscopic repair (LR), 24 primary suture repairs (PSR), and 20 open repairs with mesh (ORWM). Preoperative characteristics were similar between groups. Hernia size was similar between LR and ORWM groups, and both were larger than that in the PSR group. ORWM compared with the other techniques resulted in longer operating time, more frequent use of drains, higher complication rates, and prolonged return to normal activities (RTNA). The length of stay (LOS) was longer in the ORWM than in the PSR group. When compared with ORWM, LR resulted in lower recurrence rates. LR resulted in fewer recurrences in patients with previous repairs and hernias larger than 3 cm than in both open techniques.

Conclusions:

LR results in faster RTNA, and lower complication and recurrence rates compared with those in ORWM. Patients with larger hernias and previous repairs benefit from LR.

Key points:

• 3 studies were examined, laparoscopic repair, open repair with suture technique and open repair with mesh.
  • 76 cases examined (32 – laparoscopic repair , 20- open repair with mesh, and 24- open suture repair technique)
  • Results showed that there was no significant differences in postoperative complications between the three procedure. Return to normal activity was significantly shorter in the laparoscopic repair group when compared to the two open repair groups. The length of hospital stay was significantly higher in the open repair with mesh group, and there was no significant difference between the laparoscopic group and primary suture repair group.

Why I chose it:

I chose this article because it was a cohort study performed in the United States which is the primary study type I was looking to obtain. The results that were measured included all of the same outcomes that I was looking to examine. It also included the same intervention (laparoscopic umbilical hernia repair) and control group (open umbilical surgical repair) that I was aiming to study in my PICO question.

Citation:

Wright, B. E., Beckerman, J., Cohen, M., Cumming, J. K., & Rodriguez, J. L. (2002). Is laparoscopic umbilical hernia repair with mesh a reasonable alternative to conventional repair?. American journal of surgery184(6), 505–509. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0002-9610(02)01071-1

Type of article:

Retrospective cohort study

Abstract:

BackgroundLaparoscopic mesh repair has been advocated as treatment of choice for ventral hernias. The term “ventral hernia” refers to a variety of abdominal wall defects and laparoscopic papers have not reported defect specific analysis. The purpose of this study was to determine any advantages to laparoscopic mesh repair of umbilical hernias.

MethodsA retrospective review (January 1998 to April 2001) was made of patients undergoing umbilical hernia repair. Patients were categorized into three groups: laparoscopic repair with mesh, open repair with mesh, and open repair without mesh. Comparative analysis was performed.

ResultsOne-hundred and sixteen umbilical hernia repairs were performed in 112 patients: 30 laparoscopic mesh repairs, 20 open mesh repairs, and 66 open nonmesh repairs. The laparoscopic technique was used for larger defects and took more time with a trend toward fewer postoperative complications and recurrences.

ConclusionsLaparoscopic umbilical hernia repair with mesh presents a reasonable alternative to conventional methods of repair.

Key points:

•  Retrospective cohort review of 112 patients (30 laparoscopic mesh repairs, 20 open mesh repairs, and 66 open non mesh repairs)
  • 13% of patients had complications in laparoscopic repair, 25% patients had complications in the open repair with mesh, and 21% of patients had complications with open repair without mesh. The recurrence rate (type of complication) was 0% in laparoscopic procedure, 5% in open procedure with mesh , and 6% in open procedure with no mesh.  The length of hospital stay which is an indicator for recovery and can be used to help assess the return to normal activity was shortest in the open procedure with no mesh, compared to the open procedure with mesh and the laparoscopic procedure with mesh. The length of hospital stay for the laparoscopic group with mesh was shorter than the open group with mesh.
  • The study states that postoperative pain, return to work and overall patient satisfaction were not assessable retrospectively.
  • Article reports that many other variables to consider when looking at outcomes or open vs laparoscopic repair. Larger defects are usually needing a mesh and are typically done laparoscopically which will also require a larger recovery time and could be more painful.

Why I chose it:

I chose this article because it was a USA based article, and was another retrospective cohort study. This article examined open vs laparoscopic umbilical hernia repairs which was my intervention and control group which I intended to examine. I also liked this article because it showed the other variables that contribute to the outcomes I was examining. Two large variables that can contribute to post operative pain, return to work status, and complications are the size of the defect and the need of a mesh graft. Reading this article gave me more insight that the outcomes I’m examining are not just dependable on the technique used but many other factors. I thought this helped tremendously in helping me answer my research question.

Citation:

Lee J, Mabardy A, Kermani R, Lopez M, Pecquex N, McCluney A. Laparoscopic vs Open Ventral Hernia Repair in the Era of Obesity. JAMA Surg. 2013;148(8):723–726. doi:10.1001/jamasurg.2013.1395

Type of article:

Retrospective cohort study

Abstract:

Importance: This study analyzes a role of laparoscopy in obese patients with ventral hernia

Objective: To evaluate the outcomes of laparoscopic compared with open ventral hernia repair (VHR) in obese patients.  

Design : Retrospective cohort analysis.      

Setting: Nationwide hospital survey.        

Participants: Obese patients undergoing VHR from 2008 through 2009 were selected from the Nationwide Inpatient Sample database. 

Main Outcomes and Measures: Data analysis included intraoperative and postoperative complications, length of stay, and total hospital charges. Additional patient demographics, including insurance, median income, and locations, were analyzed.

Results: Of the 47,661 obese patients who underwent VHR during the study period, laparoscopic VHR increased more than 4-fold, from 1547 of 23 917 (6.5%) to 6629 of 23 704 (28.0%) (P < .001). Laparoscopic VHR was associated with a lower overall complication rate (6.3% vs 13.7%; P < .001), shorter median length of stay (3 vs 4 days; P < .001), and lower mean total hospital charges ($40 387 vs $48 513; P < .001). Multivariable logistic regression analysis identified a predictive variable for laparoscopic VHR: private insurance (odds ratio, 1.20; 95% CI, 1.15-1.27; P < .001). Ventral hernias with a gangrenous bowel were less likely to undergo laparoscopic VHR (odds ratio, 0.14; 95% CI, 0.06-0.34; P < .001)          

Conclusions and Relevance: In the era of laparoscopy, the overall use of laparoscopic VHR in obese patients has increased significantly and appears to be safe, with a shorter stay and a lower cost of care.

Key points:

• Retrospective cohort analyses performed in the USA.
  • Analyzing role of laparoscopic hernia repair in obese patients with ventral hernias
  • Obesity is the largest risk factor for hernias, many patients with ventral are due to obesity.
  • Umbilical hernias are a common type of ventral hernia just describing location of hernia at the umbilicus.
  • Outcomes measured included complications, length of stay, and hospital charges.

Why I chose it:

I chose this article because it was based in the United States and though it discussed ventral hernias, umbilical hernias are a type of ventral hernia. Also it took into account obesity which are present in a large proportion of hernia patients especially the ones I have seen so far in my rotation. It also studies outcomes that I was looking for such as complications, length of stay (which is connected to return to activity and recovery). It also measured the cost of care and though it wasn’t included in my pico question I thought this was a very interesting outcome that I would like to include in further research regarding the topic. I thought this article had different contributions to my research that I was curious about and my first two articles didn’t examine.

What is the clinical “bottom line” derived from these articles in answer to your question?

After conducting my research regarding laparoscopic vs open surgical repairs for umbilical hernias and the results of post operative pain, reduced complications, and return to normal activity I think there are more variables that go into these outcomes then just the type of procedure performed. The size of the defect and the use of mesh are two critical components that contribute to these outcomes. It was difficult finding articles that directly answered my questions and included all outcomes I wanted to examine, and more research has to be conducted to definitively state that laparoscopic umbilical hernia repair has less complications, less pain, and a faster return to activities then open umbilical hernia repair. Even though laparoscopic techniques are more minimally invasive other factors play a significant role beyond surgical technique in prognosis.  

ARTICLE LINKS

`1) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3021337/pdf/jsls-7-4-323.pdf

2)   Article #2 

3) https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamasurgery/fullarticle/1696120