Surgery – PICO 3

Brief description of patient problem/setting (summarize the case very briefly):

74 y/o male with PMH of HTN, presents with lower left abdominal pain, nausea, loss of appetite, and bloody stools for the past 2 days. Upon physical examination the patient has tenderness to palpation in the LLQ of the abdomen. Vital signs are normal.

Search Question: Clearly state the question (including outcomes or criteria to be tracked)

In adults diagnosed with acute uncomplicated diverticulitis does antibiotic therapy compared to placebo or no antibiotic therapy result in higher rates of reduced symptoms, lower recurrence rates, and reduced need of surgical intervention?

Question Type: What kind of question is this? (boxes now checkable in Word)

☐Prevalence                                 ☐Screening                      ☐Diagnosis

☒Prognosis                                    ☒Treatment                    ☐Harms

Assuming that the highest level of evidence to answer your question will be meta-analysis or systematic review, what other types of study might you include if these are not available (or if there is a much more current study of another type)?

Please explain your choices.

– If meta-analysis or systematic review are not available, I would include a cohort study. A cohort study would allow me to follow the diagnosed patient for periods of time assessing the progression of the diverticulitis on symptoms resolution, recurrence, and the need of any surgical intervention. I would also want to include a randomized controlled trial as they eliminate bias allow for a controlled randomization, and would create an organized study with a control group (placebo) and experimental group (antibiotic treatment)

PICO search terms:

P I C O
Adults with uncomplicated diverticulitis Antibiotic therapy Placebo Symptom resolution
Adults diagnosed with uncomplicated diverticulitis Antibiotic treatment Symptomatic treatment Rates of recurrence
  Antibiotics   Need for surgical intervention

Search tools and strategy used:

Please indicate what data bases/tools you used, provide a list of the terms you searched together in each tool, and how many articles were returned using those terms and filters.
Explain how you narrow your choices to the few selected articles.

Results found:

PubMed:

• diverticulitis antibiotic treatment outcomes -336
  • diverticulitis antibiotic treatment outcomes- 88

Filter= within 5 years

• diverticulitis antibiotic treatment outcomes- 6
  • Filter= randomized control trials

Science Direct:

• diverticulitis antibiotic treatment vs placebo recurrence- 42

Filter= within 5 years

• diverticulitis antibiotic treatment vs placebo surgical need- 46

Filter= within 5 years

• diverticulitis antibiotic treatment vs placebo symptoms- 75

Filter= within 5 years

Google Scholar:

• diverticulitis treatment recurrence, surgery, symptoms, antibiotic placebo- 6290
  • diverticulitis treatment recurrence, surgery, symptoms, antibiotic placebo- 1,160

Filter= since 2020

• diverticulitis antibiotic vs placebo outcomes- 4700

Filter= since 2020

– I wanted to make sure that the articles were directly related to my PICO question and included my PICO search elements. There weren’t that many USA based articles, so I attempted to find as many non-foreign articles as possible. Getting RCT’s was also important to me as they provided high validity for my research and well-constructed studies based on what I was looking to examine

Identify at least 3 articles (or other appropriate reputable sources) that answer your specific question with the highest available level of evidence (you will probably need to look at more than 3 articles to get the 3 most focused and highest level articles to address your question). Please make sure that they are Medline indexed.

Please post the citation and abstract for each article (to include the journal and authors’ names and date) and say why you chose it.
Please also note what kind of article it is (e.g. meta-analysis, cohort study, or independent blind comparison with gold standard of diagnosis, etc.).

At the bottom of each abstract, please comment on what your key points are from this article (including any points or concepts included in the article, but not present in the abstract – i.e. make the concepts understandable to the reader)

Please note that if the evidence is not in the abstract, you must clearly summarize the evidence in your posting.

Citation:

Rezapour, M., & Stollman, N. (2018). Antibiotics in Uncomplicated Acute Diverticulitis: To Give or Not to Give?. Inflammatory intestinal diseases3(2), 75–79. https://doi.org/10.1159/000489631

Type of article:

Data review of RCT’s

Abstract:

Acute uncomplicated diverticulitis (AUD) is generally felt to be caused by obstruction and inflammation of a colonic diverticulum and occurs in about 4–5% of patients with diverticulosis. The cornerstone of AUD treatment has conventionally been antibiotic therapy, but with a paradigm shift in the underlying pathogenesis of the disease from bacterial infection to more of an inflammatory process, as well as concerns about antibiotic overuse, this dogma has recently been questioned. We will review emerging data that supports more selective antibiotic use in this population, as well as newer guidelines that advocate this position as well. While there are no discrete algorithms to guide us, we will attempt to suggest clinical scenarios where antibiotics may reasonably be withheld.

Key points:

• Data review of  randomized controlled trials
  •  1st trial found no statistical differences In those treated with antibiotics and those not treated with antibiotics. Assessment based on complications, frequency of surgery,  length of hospital stay, recurrence of diverticulitis, abdominal pain, or changes in bowel habit.
  • 2nd trial found no significant differences between observational group and antibiotic treatment group. Hospital length of stays was significantly shorter in the observational group than in the antibiotic group. The author suggested that antibiotics should not be used in patients with “first episode of uncomplicated, left-sided acute diverticulitis”.
  • Studies showed support of treating acute uncomplicated diverticulitis with non-antibiotic therapies.  European guidelines and American Gastroenterological Association Institute guidelines advocated for selective use of antibiotics rather than routine use.
Why I chose it:

I chose this article because thought the RCT’s were non-USA based, the data review of them was conducted in California (non-foreign). The review also looked at RCT’s which are of high validity and eliminate bias and allow for optimal randomization. The elements that were being evaluated in the RCT’s also matched the PICO search elements I included (frequency of surgery, recurrence of diverticulitis, and length of hospital stay, complications, and changes in bowel habits are directly associated with symptom resolution. It was a fitting article for my PICO research and helped me gather evidence that would further evaluate my research question.

Citation:

Smolarz, C. M., Hohertz, B., & Seupaul, R. A. (2014). Are antibiotics required for the treatment of= uncomplicated diverticulitis? Annals of Emergency Medicine63(1), 52–53.

Type of article:

Systematic review of RTC’s

Abstract:

Methods:

Data Sources- The authors searched The Cochrane Library (including CENTRAL), MEDLINE (1948 to March 2011), EMBASE (1980 to 2011), and Current Controlled Trials (controlledtrials.com). Additional studies were sought by searching reference lists of relevant randomized controlled trials.

Study Selections- Only randomized controlled trials of uncomplicated left-sided diverticulitis in adults comparing antibiotics to placebo, other antibiotics, or standard practice were included. The diagnosis of diverticulitis had to be confirmed by computed tomography, ultrasonography, or contrast enema. The primary outcomes, defined by the study authors, were complication rate (abscess, fistula, stricture, or perforation with peritonitis or sepsis) and emergency surgery rate.

Data Extraction & Synthesis- Quality of study methodology was assessed according to the Cochrane Collaboration’s Tool for assessing the risk of bias. A qualitative analysis of included trials was performed because of a high degree of heterogeneity.

Take-Home Message: Limited data (1 randomized trial) suggest that antibiotics may be no better than placebo for the treatment of uncomplicated diverticulitis. More randomized trial data are required to help define the best therapeutic option.

Key points:

•  USA based data review that was performed only including RCT’s
  • Of the 3 studies used, 2 compared antibiotics to a placebo and the third compared two different types of antibiotics.
  • Methods of evaluation were complication rate (abscess, fistula, stricture, or perforation) as well as the need for emergency surgery.
  • No statistical differences were found in the studies.
Why I chose it:

The main reason I chose this article was that it is a USA based article. With the prognosis and diagnosis of diverticulitis being heavily influenced by ones diet, I thought having a USA study was of high importance since diets drastically differ in other countries. I also thought the article not only discussed placebo vs antibiotics but also the efficacy of different antibiotics. This made me further interested in the treatment of diverticulitis and if better results were associated with one antibiotic vs another which is a potential follow up PICO research topic I can examine. Emergency surgery was also being assessed as an evaluation criterion which was one of my PICO elements. Complications that are listed are also directly associated to resolution of symptoms which is another one of my elements.

Citation:

Chabok, A., Påhlman, L., Hjern, F., Haapaniemi, S., Smedh, K., & AVOD Study Group (2012). Randomized clinical trial of antibiotics in acute uncomplicated diverticulitis. The British journal of surgery99(4), 532–539. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.8688

Type of article:

Randomized trial

Abstract:

Background: The standard of care for acute uncomplicated diverticulitis today is antibiotic treatment, although there are no controlled studies supporting this management. The aim was to investigate the need for antibiotic treatment in acute uncomplicated diverticulitis, with the endpoint of recovery without complications after 12 months of follow-up.

Methods: This multicenter randomized trial involving ten surgical departments in Sweden and one in Iceland recruited 623 patients with computed tomography-verified acute uncomplicated left-sided diverticulitis. Patients were randomized to treatment with (314 patients) or without (309 patients) antibiotics.

Results: Age, sex, body mass index, co-morbidities, body temperature, white blood cell count and C-reactive protein level on admission were similar in the two groups. Complications such as perforation or abscess formation were found in six patients (1·9 per cent) who received no antibiotics and in three (1·0 per cent) who were treated with antibiotics (P = 0·302). The median hospital stay was 3 days in both groups. Recurrent diverticulitis necessitating readmission to hospital at the 1-year follow-up was similar in the two groups (16 per cent, P = 0·881).

Conclusion: Antibiotic treatment for acute uncomplicated diverticulitis neither accelerates recovery nor prevents complications or recurrence. It should be reserved for the treatment of complicated diverticulitis.

Key points:

• Randomized controlled trial involving ten surgical departments in Sweden and one in Iceland. 623 patients with CT verified acute uncomplicated left-sided diverticulitis. 314 treated with antibiotics and 309 without.
  • Short term methods of evaluation included occurrence of complications, need for surgery, length of hospital stay, abdominal pain (symptom)fever (symptom), and abdominal tenderness. Long term methods of evaluation included recurrence, need for surgery, changes in bowel habits (symptom), abdominal pain (symptom),  and results of colorectal examinations.
  • Results showed no significant differences between patients treated with antibiotics in terms of recovery time and reduction of complications than those not treated with antibiotics at 12 month follow up.
Why I chose it:

Even though this article was a foreign article, I was limited with the amount of USA based articles existed. I thought this article should be included as it was a RCT which limited any bias and was a large study incorporating data from ten surgical departments. Having a large study further validifies the study and results. I also picked this study because it incorporated all aspects of my PICO elements. It included acute uncomplicated diverticulitis, antibiotic treatment vs non antibiotic treatment, and had similar outcomes that I was looking to evaluate (recurrence, symptoms, and need for surgery). Though it was not a USA based study, I felt it greatly contributed to my research as it was a well detailed organized performed study.

What is the clinical “bottom line” derived from these articles in answer to your question?

After conducting my research regarding the benefits of antibiotic therapy in treating diverticulitis, I found that there was no definitive evidence suggesting its use. Examining all three articles that I selected it was clear that there were no significant differences in diverticulitis recurrence, need for surgery, or rate of reduction of symptoms. The last article that I evaluated states that the current guidelines include bowel rest, oral fluids, and 7-10 days of broad-spectrum antibiotics for uncomplicated diverticulitis. The article also states that these recommendations are based on expert opinion and tradition rather than evidence-based trials. I think incorporating evidence-based medicine is fundamental to obtaining the best results in our patients. I thought this study was interesting and of high importance as there is a problem of overprescribing antibiotics leading to antibiotic resistance and even harmful side effects.

ARTICLE PDF LINKS

1. https://karger.com/iid/article-pdf/3/2/75/2995194/000489631.pdf
  2. https://www.annemergmed.com/action/showPdf?pii=S0196-0644%2813%2901236-5
  3. https://watermark.silverchair.com/bjs8688.pdf?token=AQECAHi208BE49Ooan9kkhW_Ercy7Dm3ZL_9Cf3qfKAc485ysgAAA0cwggNDBgkqhkiG9w0BBwagggM0MIIDMAIBADCCAykGCSqGSIb3DQEHATAeBglghkgBZQMEAS4wEQQM4wd_fiZq3WqliUelAgEQgIIC-vBMASO8fXhG9XoLkN72uGi7I1Iegl2UbpwtiS-caqg-MRVsaAPg223NT7BB9r9pQbOHXasRWdPNN–JmrdXQBWRK4zZObtpAN1BEqkXeEWzrqrVAtqcWMwKcYx4GmBELfDj3wjhVSwOwqKwFl_vhJvkfWBkeDMmulm9LHANMLXKbfK6qFzZOGRMhcgFuuTKwjBPrSYnmSPfX0FsWPj29fNwoPoV0vfpGiGOFfM50p78E2PDFC396xEhsUImxZ5yfl-55YmXBIK53FO5cZSXBz_z8v4lh96928gjAqGg8beXVML58kD2i7nOEoTkX45KBEMmBrpclCuX_QekBuO2GfmoH_dYMQsRYyIOkU2CDd2isRZmcz56UQSrzeH0pKJch6YU-B0SBZzdbHU0VGZ-Z_1v5aO79folTpOa4mz3KB2sB65U4fsjgdgogNdWqtuBgML22EgVEexYxaCZItfO0CbKG5AhzxDAgHmApoGgsd2i02oDYQYtOBv3iPJEy2IsDNJbyMBMDeKIBjPiJFRvH3IzHre78h2tlbls6a9kHmeDQjsHI9M9YdGwWeQQ2A8N17vQJGr5rmkzF4dQqDf_3EpERxsBFVma8C8Zvu8yA_fwcninFpbDplfdMK6xhxeASGU8UQkRXIaFOgvUKtZODvKh2w0G_92Y23lEMNrdFDDXUVui1nW8aOZ1ZXNpmnFRqQY33NjQUEYndcNd7eG2DCfE0wD81YJizR54nJSXOvIkeuNzCTf1t3NtepTp0Br-IKBq7fjZku-DVCIN0wwYDLUurhBrs6ejUlNg8etFrn2-YoqkzPgD8osJYtYkmfKdWYzOM14KnFXFNVTxlMXEA_IvbJeb2EnKwQkcSDgd6WIMrd0q8_m7ExEVPiW9z7zbCSe4Bo8AMkfPpVhreA-FWsK9ejG7LiMiD3D9rzjJp5EzZpd8aX4YDCIkLpjS_bAriAZVBwzyzNbo4iL2UQ_Lj_PdVEps8jdRZhWKgl9UoQQdPE2RlsoiJdMy0g